Supergirl is coming to CBS this fall. No, not Smallville. No, not SuperMAN or even SuperBOY. This is SuperGIRL. The trailer, almost seven minutes in length, gives fans insight into what this series will be. Will it last? Only time – and fandom – will tell. In the meantime, I share my thoughts on the Supergirl trailer.
Who is Supergirl?
Supergirl is the cousin of Superman. Her name is Kara Zor-El and she made her debut in 1959. Kara remained a popular character until her death during Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1985. So, how is it that we now have a series starring a character who died in 1985?
The answer to that question is a post unto itself. In the meantime, I will share with you some of the things I noticed when watching the trailer. Those are:
- The current costume is, in my opinion, not very popular. The costume Kara wears before donning the traditional skirt is reminiscent of the current.
- Kara does not use, based on the trailer, a Linda Lee or Linda Danvers secret identity. Instead, she chooses to use her first name. I’m curious if her last time is Starr.
- If #2 is Starr, it would appear that Kara Starr is more POWER Girl than SUPER Girl.
- Cat Grant – or the actress playing her – is reason enough for me to give the show a try. Calista Flockhart is best known as Ally McBeal. And, as an Ally fan, I can’t wait to see her in this role.
- Back to the costume, I did not like the way the S was shown. It looked too dark.
- While Superman will be mentioned and Kara will be tied directly to him as in the comics, it is fairly obvious that Superman will not be a key player in the serious. I think this is due to both licensing and logistic reasons.
- The rumored time slot is 7pm on Mondays. I wonder if placing this opposite Fox’s Gotham is a good idea???
What Did YOU Think?
What did you think of the trailer? Did it meet expectations? Will you be tuning in this fall to Supergirl on CBS?